Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Top 5 Restaurants in the Metroplex

Well, this is going to be a quite controversial blog posting. I am going to give you the top 5 places to eat around the Metroplex. These are personal favorites, so they will only reflect places I have personally eaten and enjoyed. They are unquestionably the best places to eat. I defy you to name someplace better.

1. Tin Star (any location)
Tin Star is hands down my favorite place to eat in the universe. I get the Two Taco Plate and normally select the Steak and Avocado Taco and the Crispy Chicken Club Taco. I have also tried the Traditional Steak and Traditional Pork tacos, both of which were also excellent. I have aspirations to try other tacos as well, but I have yet to grow tired of my favorites. The two taco plate comes with Black Beans and Rice which are both good and healthy. The Chips / Salsa bar is a nice feature as well and the red salsa is my personal all-time favorite salsa. I wash the meal down with water and enjoy all this for $8.11. What a bargain. If you are looking to woo me, Tin Star is the way to go.

2. Napoli (in Rockwall)
I specify in Rockwall because I have not eaten at the other Napolis, which were offshoots from the original restaurant in Rockwall. Napoli was originally called Bella Italian Ristaraunte and opened back in the mid 90’s. They have since expanded and remodeled and renamed the place, but it still run by the same people and has the same incredible food. I usually get a calzone with no ricotta cheese and add in some additional toppings. Canadian bacon often makes an appearance. The prices are reasonable and the atmosphere is pleasant. They also have excellent pizza and my wife especially enjoys an item called the Zikri Special (with a possible Zikri misspelling). I don’t always eat Italian food, but when I do, I choose Napoli.

3. Don Pepes
This out of the way Mexican restaurant is located on Arapaho Road, just west of Coit in Richardson. This is the place to go for chicken enchiladas. They also have very good chicken fajitas and if you go at lunch time, the prices are delightfully low. I haven’t been in a while since I no longer live in Richardson and because Tin Star stole my heart, but every time I go I am very happy with the results.

4. Nemo’s
Nemo’s is a tiny hole in the wall sandwich shop in Irving, TX. It’s on the corner of Grauwyler and Irving Heights, just a bit west of Loop 12. They make the most amazing hot sandwiches in the world. They come in 8” or 16” increments and have some sort of dressing on them that helps the earth continue turning on its axis. I highly recommend you pick up a sub there at some point in your life.

5. Big State
This old fashioned soda shop is on the square in downtown Irving, located on the corner of Irving Blvd and some downtown cross street I don’t remember the name of. It’s a pharmacy with a soda shop in the back. I haven’t been there in a couple of years, so I’m hoping it’s still open. This is where you can get the best Milkshake in Texas. They make the milkshake by hand instead of just pulling a lever on a machine. They bring you the milkshake in a glass and bring the rest of the shake in the metal whatchamacallit it was mixed in, so when you drain the glass you can pour in the rest of your shake. Lot’s of shake for your money. The food is pretty good as well and is pretty much standard grill type fair. Good burgers and fries. Incidentally, french fries are excellent when dipped in a milkshake.

So there you have it. Enjoy your food responsibly and keep your napkin in your lap. It doesn’t pay to take chances.

Blessings

1 comment:

  1. These look so great! We'll definitely have to consult this list the next time we're in your neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete