Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Top 5 Wines under $10.

As previously discussed in the blog titled, “What’s up with my mouth?” I made it known that I enjoy a glass or two of wine on most evenings. Like many of you, however, I operate on a budget which does not allow me to just grab anything I want off the wine shelf. As a result, I have tried a great many wines under $10 over the last year and a half and would like to pass along some of what I have learned. This knowledge is worth well more than its weight in wine as you can hopefully use this list to avoid bringing home some of the moonshine hooch that often falls into this price range. There is plenty of that out there and no one deserves that. And remember, many places (like Tom Thumb) give you a 10% discount if you buy 6 bottles or more.

(Disclaimer – Wine should be enjoyed in moderation. Take it easy.)

5. Smoking Loon – Cabernet Sauvignon

A good solid Cabernet for the price. Not the best, but doesn’t vary much from bottle to bottle like some of the less expensive wines do. Available at multiple locations. Their Merlot is also pretty decent.


4. Francis Ford Coppola - Rosso

This blended wine is the only Coppola I have found which is consistently under $10. I normally pick this one up at Tom Thumb for about eight dollars and am never disappointed. I have tried some of Mr. Coppola’s $10+ wines as well and they are also quite good, but seldom make their way into the Autry home due to the aforementioned budget.




3. Rex Goliath Giant 47 Pound Rooster
– Cabernet Sauvignon

Pretty much anything by Rex Goliath will not disappoint. You can find this brand in many locations, but Walmart carries many Rex Goliath options for $4.97 / bottle. The Cabernet is my favorite, but their Pinot Noir, and Sauvignon Blanc are also very enjoyable. Priced as an everyday wine, but good enough for company.



2. Spanish Quarter – Cabernet-Tempranillo


Excellent Blended Wine, available at Tom Thumb. There’s a lot going on in this one and I was very tempted to put this one at #1. Their Chardonnay-Albarino is my favorite white wine and would probably come in around 6 overall for me.





1. Apothic Red

This Blend is simply unbelievable. Available at Tom Thumb and Walmart, usually for just under $10, this wine really delivers. Made from 3 grapes, the flavor is quite hard to define and I haven’t tasted another wine that I could compare it to. And besides, very few people can describe what they are tasting without sounding like pretentious bores. I have found that this Red appeals even to those who normally prefer white wines.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment