Friday, March 19, 2010

Top 5 Zombie Movies

I like Zombie Movies.

This is something I often find challenging to admit to people due to the fact that it certainly doesn’t speak highly of my intelligence level or sense of culture. But the truth of the matter is I tend to laugh my tail off watching the undead go to town attempting to eat the brains / flesh of the living. There is little I find more humorous in fact.

So if you have similar tastes or are wondering if perhaps you do, I am going to offer to you my personal top 5 zombie movies. Now you zombie aficionados out there will probably hate my list because it tends to ignore the more serious, traditional, and pioneering zombie movies that paved the way and had deeper societal implications in them. Be that as it may, here are my personal favorites in the genre.

1. Fido

Okay, so this one does perhaps have some deeper societal implications. This is a beautiful film the whole way through. My sense of the absurd loves seeing the zombie in the Leave it to Beaver type setting. Greatness.

2. My Boyfriend’s Back

One of the funniest movies ever made. You will truly laugh till your limbs fall off. This also has a surprisingly famous cast for an unknown early 90’s zombie movie. Phillip Seymore Hoffman turns in his best performance to date.

3. Zombieland

The language is a bit extreme, and the zombies aren’t actually undead, but this one had me laughing and cheering. Bill Murray as himself was a nice touch. I also enjoyed the mockery of Garland TX early in the film. Funny cause it’s true.

4. Shaun of the Dead

Again, the language is a bit extreme, but the semi-dance sequence where they hit the zombie with pool cues is delightful. I laughed so hard I nearly joined the undead when the big guy rewinds the disposable camera for another picture in the backyard. A must see for the zombie lover.

5. Dead Alive (aka – Braindead)

This early Peter Jackson movie is disgusting and ridiculous. I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone, but I loved watching every minute of it. It’s entirely over the top and obscene, but it has rockabilly zombies to make up for its other shortcomings. Watching this movie will leave you wondering how the same person could possibly have made this movie and then gone on to craft the epic Lord of the Rings Trilogy.

So there you have it. I did not include my favorite films from the Evil Dead Trilogy because I do not consider them to be Zombie movies, even though they do include the reanimation of the dead. They fall into some other category. Whatever category that is, they are right at the top of its list, but it’s not really the zombie genre since the undead in those films want to swallow your soul, instead of your brains.

Many Blessings.

2 comments:

  1. What about 28 Days Later? That's like the top of the zombie movie food chain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm... I never saw that one. I'll have to check it out, but there's just no way it beats "My Boyfriend's Back"

    ReplyDelete